I don’t know about you, but when it comes to Feijoa season, I can rely on having at least one friend who has an abundance of Feijoas to share. As a recent Feijoa convert, I have always shot down any offer of free Feijoas as they were wasted on me. But Hallelujah! I have seen the light! Now I make good use of the free Feijoas that are at my disposal. These sour fruits are great on their own, in a crumble, tart or poached and served with any number of desserts. My favorite way to enjoy these winter treats is in Feijoa Jam. This is a quick and easy jam recipe that can be enjoyed for months to come (if it lasts that long =p )
Ingredients (for 2 jars):
- 750g peeled, chopped Feijoas
- 3/4 Cup Water
- Juice and Rind of 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger (grated)
- 750g Sugar
- Boil peeled an diced Feijoas with water, ginger and lemon until the fruit is soft.
- Add the sugar, stirring until it’s dissolved over a low heat.
- Bring to the boil for approx 5 min. Make sure to stir the jam occasionally to avoid it burning.
- Check the jam has reached setting point by dripping some on a cold plate and placing in the freezer for a few minutes. It should still be somewhat liquid but hold its shape.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal whilst still hot.
See this is such a simple recipe. I enjoy this jam on toast (duh), as a part of a cheese platter or with a cheeky hot cross bun I may or may not have hoarded in the freezer =)
Let me know if you try out this recipe in the comments below.
Catch ya later =)