It’s officially been winter for over a month now and I have been living off porridge. I know, I know! Porridge is sooooo simple and it seems almost criminal to write a post on how to make it. But I know so many people (myself included) who have gone off porridge because it can become boring and mundane. But, never fear! I have a great recipe to spruce up the classic brekkie and you’ll soon be leaping out of bed to enjoy it! (Well, be able to bare those winter mornings).
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1/2 Cup of Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup of Water (you can substitute this for milk, dairy free milk or do a 50/50 of your choice).
- 1 Banana
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Handful of toasted nuts (walnuts would be fabby but I had pistachios at hand).
- Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil or butter in a small frying pan.
- Cut the banana into slices and place half into the frying pan.
- Cook on a medium heat until caramalised on both sides.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the oats, water and the rest of the banana in a small pot and heat on a low heat.
- Add the spices.
- Cook until the oats have cooked out the water and are nice and soft. Make sure to stir the mix constantly to avoid it burning or over cooking. (about 5-mins depending on what consistency you like).
- Serve with the caramalised bananas and toasted nuts on top.
This is my favourite winter treat to help pick me up on cold, frosty mornings. I love how the cooked bananas and spices sweeten and add flavour to the porridge. Then you add the caramalised bananas and nuts on top which make it reminiscent of yummy banana bread. Hope you enjoy!
Catch ya later 🙂